Hope you had a great weekend!
I don’t know about you, but the past two days flewwww by for me. Unfortunately my head has been hurting this entire weekend and because of that, my scheduled 12 mile run on Saturday was really just a 6 miler. I’m not stressing too much about that though… something tells me I’ll do just fine during the race next month and I’m going to keep plugging away at training until then. Saturday night we had some friends over to watch football, catch up and munch on tons of pizza, cupcakes and cookies. Lately I absolutely love having visitors over because I feel like it really “breaks our apartment in.” Today we spent the day at my family’s house in northern New Jersey, where even more eating and catching up ensued. Not a bad weekend all-in-all!
I’m feeling a little icky, so this will be a short but complete post, gosh darn it! Here are three exciting things that happened to me this week!
- NEW RUNNING SHOES – I ordered new running shoes… YAY, NEW SHOES! My pair of Asics Gel Noosa Tri 10s should be arriving Tuesday and I cannot wait. It might sound silly but I get so excited when I get to break new shoes in. They look so sleek, they have that fabulous new shoe smell and they make it feel like you’re running on two little marshmallow puffs. That marshmallow-y goodness will definitely come in handy on race day. One more super dorky reason I’m pumped for these shoes is that I already own the Noosa Tri 8 and 9, so now I’ll have a complete little shoe family, tear tear. :’)
- HOLI-DAZE – I know it’s not yet officially fall, but I can’t stop thinking about all the ways I want to celebrate and decorate for the upcoming holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas… the whole shebang!) Jen and I visited Target on Friday and I have to hand it to ’em – their Halloween lineup this year is bangin’. We somehow managed to leave store premises with just a couple of plastic pumpkins for our upcoming cubicle trick-or-treating, but I know we’ll be back soon for more. I’ve also got Christmas trees, stockings and festive Pinterest crafts on my mind. I’m in a holi-daze!
- MUDDLED MINT LEMONADE – On Saturday I made muddled mint lemonade for the first time! You might remember that my friend Elora made this yummy drink and how it inspired me. Well I let inspiration do its thang and I have to say it turned out very well. Since I was serving a crowd I made this batch pretty sweet, but when it’s just me I’m going to keep it more on the tart side. I love anything tart/sour – I even eat whole lemons sometimes as a snack. Anyways, the muddled mint really gives the drink a bright, fresh pop. It also looks cool floating around in the glass, so I recommend serving this bad boy in something see-through (preferably a Mason jar because we all know lemonade belongs in Mason jars). Recipe Bonus: You feel extremely fancy when you say you’re muddling something. Enough chit chat, here’s the good stuff:
Serves: Approximately 6-8 (one recipe fills a one gallon pitcher)
Total Time: 10 minutes
1/2 cup sugar (can adjust to taste)
6 cups cold water
30-40 mint leaves
Lemon juicer (optional)
- Heat 1/2 cup water and sugar in saucepan over low heat. Stir until dissolved (approximately 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Halve and juice lemons into pitcher. Discard rinds or suck the living hell out of them if you’re a citrus freak, like me.
- Add 5 1/2 cups cold water and sugar mixture to lemon juice. Stir well. (Add more water if you want to dilute it).
- Place 4-6 mint leaves in bottom of each glass. Use the end of the wooden spoon to muddle (AKA smash!) the leaves. Pour a splash of lemonade into glass and muddle for a few more seconds. Fill the remainder of the glass and add ice cubes and additional mint leaves, if desired.
- Serve in Mason jar with bendy straw and enjoy!