Happy Monday! I had a beautifully slow, relaxing weekend and was dreading Monday’s arrival, but you know what, it’s pretty darn good so far. It’s a clear, beautiful fall day and I’ve been kicking some butt at work and have plans to crank out a solid 5-miler tonight. So much of how you experience life is how you frame it! With that in mind, here is…
Last night I made a slightly more fattening version of Family Fresh Meals’ Crockpot Lasagna Soup. I used ground spicy Italian sausage instead of ground beef, upped the herbs and spices, removed the additional water and instead of adding one-third of a box of pasta, I decided to add the whole dang thing like the carb-lover that I am. The extra pasta and lack of additional H2O turned this into more of a pasta dish than a soup, so I dubbed it Crockpot Lasagna Pasta. This dish was absolutely hearty, comforting and delicious (as well as cheap and easy!). Check it out!
Time: 3 hours, 45 minutes (15 minutes prep time, 3.5 hours cook time)
- 1 lb. ground spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 heaping tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1-28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1-6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato juice (I used this instead of the V8 used in the original recipe)
- 6 cups uncooked pasta of your choice (I used whole wheat rotini)
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, for serving
- Fresh basil, for serving
- Slow cooker liner – optional but makes cleanup hella easy
- Insert the slow cooker liner (if you’re using one) and mix together the diced tomatoes and tomato paste in crockpot.
- Add broth, sausage, garlic, parsley, basil, onion, tomato juice and salt/pepper. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 7/8 hours or on high for 4/5 hours.
- When 30 minutes remain, add in the pasta. Stir, cover and cook for final 30 minutes.
- Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and fresh basil (I recently got a basil plant and OMG, I cannot stop adding basil to eeeverrrryyyttthhiinnnggg).
- Enjoy your carbo-loaded feast!