All hail Pinterest, the mother of domestic kitchen experiments!
This weekend out of boredom I browsed Pinterest and stumbled across Cooking Classy’s Zucchini Pizza Boats recipe. While I didn’t have time to make the boats over the weekend, I did make them (slightly adapted) last night, and boy did they turn out swell.
If you’re looking to enjoy that delicious pizza taste without the bloat or regret, definitely give this meal a whirl. It’s quick, easy and healthy … you can’t go wrong! This might become a regular meal in our apartment, especially since I’m trying to lose a few pounds and we have a ton of ingredients left over!
Serves: 2 (if you have a family or lots of hungry friends, you can easily adapt this to feed more people)
Time: 28 minutes (10 minutes prep time, 18 minutes cook time)
- 3 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pepperoni slices (I used turkey)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (from our garden … huzzah!)
- Small bowl
- Basting brush
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil or silicone baking mat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or silicone baking mat, set aside.
- Cut each zucchini into halves through the length (if they don’t lie flat trim a thin portion from bottoms so that they will lie mostly flat).
- Pat insides dry with paper towels. Align on prepared baking sheet.
- In small bowl, stir together olive oil and garlic then use basting brush to lightly cover the tops of zucchini.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste then spoon marinara sauce over each zucchini, leaving a small rim near edges uncoated.
- Sprinkle tops evenly with mozzarella cheese then with parmesan cheese. Top with pepperoni slices.
- Bake in preheated oven 12 – 18 minutes (I baked mine for 18 minutes, but bake time will vary depending on how thick your zucchini are and how crisp/tender you want them).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil and oregano. Serve warm.